Created in 1981 by the Bordeaux Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the Vinexpo exhibition has established itself over the years as the key event for major international operators in the wine and spirits sector.
- It is held in Bordeaux every uneven-numbered year.
- In the space of 16 exhibitions Vinexpo has displayed tremendous growth. The attendance figures are proof of this :
In 1981: 524 exhibitors (including 96 from outside France) from 21 countries and 11,000 professional visitors from 50 countries.
In 2011: 2,400 exhibitors from 4 countries, 48,122 professional visitors from 148 countries and 1,254 journalists and writers.
What are the keys to Vinexpo’s success?
It is an outstanding showcase for products from all over the world, visited by buyers from every corner of the globe, and is a place for exchange and debate in the heart of the greatest fine wine growing area in the world.
Since 1989, Vinexpo has succeeded, beyond the exhibition itself, in providing wine and spirits professionals with a genuine tool for strategic reflection and planning.
Ahead of each exhibition, Vinexpo organizes and carries out studies, symposia, and conferences on key issues concerning the trade :
- The future for brands (1989)
- Grape varieties and appellations (1991)
- Trade marketing in large-scale retail (1995)
- Women’s knowledge of wine (1995)
- Young people and wine (1996)
- The world market for wine and spirits (1996)
- Social change and the future of wine consumption (1997)
- Evolution of the consumer and the consumers’ perceptions of wine and wine advertising (1999)
- Wine consumption trends at the beginning of the 21st century? (1999)
- The world wine and spirits market and 5-year outlook until 2005 (1999 / 2001)
- Japanese women and wine (2000)
- The influence of lifestyle and life stages on wine drinking in United Kingdom (2003)
- The imaginary world of wine (2003)
- International overview of distribution and merchandising applications in wine and spirits (2003)
- Wine in the mind of novice wine drinkers (2005)
- 20-25 year-olds and wine (2007)
- Current trends in the international wine and spirits market (2003 / 2004 / 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011/2012)
- Wine and women (2009 )
- Wine and Asian women (2010)
The responsible and balanced consumption of wine and spirits is another area for consideration, to which Vinexpo management is particularly committed.
Since 1993 to 2009, the Exhibition offered a forum to the initiative “Savoir Boire Savoir Vivre”, with events organized by federations and professional organizations to discuss alcohol and health issues at symposia and briefing sessions.